Purchasing an awning or an overhang for your home is truly an investment. Whether it is installed in your front door, front window, or for your deck or patio, you can be sure that such areas are protected from the elements such as rain, wind, and snow, as well as from the blazing heat coming from the sun. Available in numerous colours and designs, you can actually have it custom-made to suit the size of your window, door, or deck or patio. Upon purchasing at least one, it is important that you take care of them when you fully use it after installation; that way, you avoid making additional purchases for replacements anytime soon.
Awning can be either fixed or retractable. On one hand, a fixed or stationary awning is installed to provide shade and protection from the elements all year round. On the other hand, a retractable awning is installed to the same but only when you need it. While both types of awnings are capable of providing functionality and aesthetics for your home, the latter is usually the most preferred choice due to its durability and ease of use. A retractable awning has a winch that can be operated via a remote control or can be manually adjusted quickly depending on your needs. Unlike the traditional awning that is considered stationary or fixed, the retractable type does not take up much space because it is flexible enough to provide you the protection from sunlight and the other elements. This makes the retractable type a user-ready kind of awning. Easy to install and disassemble, it is widely used for large patios or decks.
Retractable awnings come in various sizes, colours, and designs. One example of such is the folding arm awning. The framework of such retractable overhangs has two foldable mechanisms on either side of the awning, making them capable of folding the canvas into two when keeping it when not in use. Usually long in size, it covers a large space, especially the outdoor living areas like the patio or deck. They can be bought as is or can be custom-fitted to respond to the weather condition via a motor and manipulated via a click of a button. Meanwhile, here are some of the known benefits of foldable arm awnings for you and your household:
· Since foldable arm awnings are flexible, they can give enjoyment for any outdoor living activity that you may have with your family members. Whether it is a party with friends or a simple family meal at your deck or patio, you can be assured that the foldable arm awning above you will cover as much shadow, thus making your experience warm and comfortable as it can get.
· If your home has a porch, you can benefit from installing a foldable arm type of awning on that part of the house. Indeed, your outdoor furniture would be protected from the intense heat of the sun, thus preventing fadeouts that may make your furniture’s outward appearance unappealing.
· Because the heat penetrates less through the windows with awnings installed, there is no need for you to be using air conditioning. Indeed, such awnings are known to greatly reduce electricity costs, not to mention provide significant impact for the environment.
Of course, given the durability that folding arm awning and other retractable overhangs provide you, it is imperative that you follow these steps to ensure proper maintenance of your investment:
· Check if everything is still working. You must do this once every month.
· Check the joints of the foldable arms for any rust and any squeaking sounds.
· Dust and debris may accumulate on the frames of the awnings, so make sure to clean them up right away.
· Any tears or near-tears on the canvas must be dealt with immediately.
Regular inspection must be done once every month to make sure that the awnings are in good working condition. Doing so will prevent you from making sudden purchases to replace broken parts.