There are a lot of things that can go wrong in today’s modern home, the garage door is no exception. Whether nature strikes, a runaway driver over estimates his or her ability to park or simply age, garage door repair can seem like a rather daunting task. There are plenty of self-help and do it yourself videos and guides out there but this is one task best left to a professional. Here are five telltale signs it’s just a repair: when to do it yourself and when you need a company to consider when beginning the journey to restoration.
- The door doesn’t open, but it makes a grinding or humming sound. Sounds simple enough, right? Typically, this means the gears are stripped. This is a very quick and inexpensive fix. A handyman or a professional garage door company can make this mend and stay within budget.
- Leaking and drafty door. The weather stripping is bad and needs to be replaced. In the case of garage doors, it’s not adjustable so there is no “give”. When it gets brittle, it has to be replaced and the homeowner or a handyman can do it inexpensively.
- Squeaky, rusted or broken hinges. Lubrication will fix just about anything with hinges except, of course if they are missing or broken. They are not expensive material wise and take about ten minutes in labour, however, there is a risk of getting hurt. A company is more than happy to send someone out without breaking the bank.
- Corroded rollers. This is a very common problem. Most doors have ten, they are made of metal, and roll along metal so at some point, something is bound to happen. They stick and bin the door making it difficult to even open the door manually. This repair is only easy for a garage door repair man.
- The garage door opener. The apex of all issues, the opener, otherwise known as the clicker. This is a complicated device that is both mechanical and electrical so it naturally needs to be fixed by the tradesman. All garage doors can function manually, so although inconvenient, until the service provider can come to your house and fix this gadget it is best left alone.
Now that it has been discussed when to call the company or when to do it yourself, here are five points to cover before hiring a professional.
- Don’t jump at the first company. It’s always good to have more than one company come out first. Some companies will give you a price over the phone if it’s a simple repair or give you a range.
- Be wary of companies that only do repair work. This is not like appliances where there are certified service technicians; these are companies that zero experience with the installation.
- Always check reviews. Various websites and social media are always goo resources for this information. Reach out to friends who may have had some work done recently.
At some point, the garage door will need repair whether it’s a small hinge oiling or a major overhaul in the opener it’s best to have the information on hand. The garage door is an important part of keeping you and your home safe and secure. It’s important to take of it so it can do its job and take care of you.